Sag, Wasow, and Bender (2003): Syntactic Theory: A formal introduction,
Errata as of January, 2005
- p. xv, ln. -21 Capital V in Frank Van Eynde
- p. xv, ln. 3: replace 'develped' with 'developed'
- Chapter 1
- p. 2, ln. -12: 'Will' should not be capitalized
- Chapter 2
- p. 29, 1st line in Sec 2.4: replace 'sections' with 'section'
- p. 42, ln. 7: replace 'the the' with 'the'
- Chapter 3
- p. 50, ln. -19: 'interesect' -> 'intersect'
- p. 53, ln. 6: replace 'hierararchy' with 'hierarchy'
- p. 56, fn. 7: 'devlop' -> 'develop'
- p. 62, ln. 2: add footnote: In order to simplify our presentation, we
postpone all discussion of the feature AUX until Chapter 13.
- p. 78, above (63): insert 'the' between 'that' and 'lexical entry'.
- p. 79 (64b): To be fully resolved, this feature structure
should also add a value for AUX ([AUX -]). However, we are
postponig all discussion of AUX until Chapter 13.
- p. 83, ln. 2: 'digrams' -> 'diagrams'
- p. 89, Problem 3, part C: Change end to: 'any identities that the grammar (including your modified HSR2 and the Head Feature Principle) requires.'
- p. 91 problem 5: There's a faulty presupposition in part D of this question: on Smith's analysis of number names, the immediate head of the phrase two hundred five is hundred five, not two hundred.
- p. 546, answer to exercise 3: In fact, phrases licensed by the rule in (47) [page 69] are incompatible with the head daughter positions of the rules in (37) [page 65] even without the specification [COMPS itr] because the former is of type phrase and the latter of type word.
- Chapter 4
- p. 102, ln. -7 'that mother' -> 'that the mother'
- p. 106, ln. -2 'now its final form' -> 'now in its final form'
- p. 107 (32) The constraint on the SPR value should be HEAD.AGR , not just AGR . While we will sometimes use such "abbreviated" pathnames, it doesn't make sense to do so in the initial presentation of a constraint such as this one.
- p. 108 (33) Likewise, in this example, the constraint on the SPR value should be HEAD.AGR , not just AGR .
- p. 123, Problem 1, Part B: 'the data in (10d-h)' -> 'the data in (10e-h)'.
- Chapter 5
- p. 147, below (33): The value of MOD is not an expression, but rather a list of zero or more expressions (in fact, zero or one
- p. 147, ln. 11 Extraneous space between for and adverbs.
- Later chapters
- p. 161, ln. 5: replace '5.3' with '5.8'
- p. 194, ln. 3: replace the `is-an-element-of' symbol (), with `=`.
- p. 225, first line of part D. "(vii) and (viii) should
be "(ix) and (x)"
- p. 242, under (39) missing "which" after "structures"
- p. 290, ln. 5: replace the `is-an-element-of' symbol (), with `=`.
- p. 357 Problem 11.3, Part B: "be sure to the INDEX" -> "be sure to show the INDEX"
- p. 520, ln. 5: replace the `is-an-element-of' symbol (), with `=`.
- p. 531, ln. 8: replace 'a analyses' with either 'analyses' or 'an analysis'
- p. 534, end of 2nd to last para: extraneous ,
- p. 561, ln 18: replace 'strcutures' with 'structures'. (Also in this entry
for feature structure, we should have explained
the notion of typing of feature structures.)
Back to Instructor's Manual main page
Back to CSLI Publications page